Sunday, October 18, 2009

Like Riding a Bike...Sorta...

OMG! It seems like it's been forever since I updated my blog! I'm so sorry! So much has been going on but at the same time, nothing much has been going on.
My husband returned from Iraq(YES!!), but it seemed to have happened at one of the most inconvenient times!I know that sounds harsh, but that's only the truth. I was JUST getting onto the poetry scene and getting to know so many people and connections, and I kind of had to put it on hold for a minute so I could focus on what's important: my marriage and family. So it's been approximately a month and a half and I haven't been to an open mic or anything. The last blog that I posted was about my experience at the very first @ttic, NC. It's only held once a month, so I missed the one in September. But I certainly didn't miss the October one! It was absolutely off the chain and the feature poetry was BET J's Lyric Soul Cafe poet 13 of Nazareth. This dude was HOTT!
I went with one of my poet friends, Prosperous Soul, and she introduced me to some other great poets and I got even more connections! It's so hard to explain the feeling that you get when you're around people that you share a common passion about something. Have you ever experienced that? I never thought that I'd find my true passion and this is really it. But there's only one problem with this little situation.
I HAVE WRITER'S BLOCK! Well, it's not really writer's block. It's just that I feel like I'm not as good of a poet as some other poets, so it discourages me a little bit. On top of that, to be an effective poet, I need to memorize some of my stuff! That's one of the other reasons that I haven't gotten behind the mic anymore. When you meet poets that are veterans and have serious connections, they want to hear some of your stuff! Luckily, I haven't been put on the spot yet, but I have been told that they want to hear some of my stuff soon. I am my worst critic, so I'm trying to climb back up on my bike and start pedaling. I promise I'll have some videos and more excited new soon. I'm at work right now and I have to go do what I get paid for! Toodles!!

1 comment:

  1. Well hello Ms. Soon-to-hurd-worldwideChyld:) Ever since I met you on Twitter, there has always been a special feeling that I've had about you, but I couldn't put my finger on it. You said it in your post though: passion. I'd like to add courageous also. It's been a joy watching you grow from your first YouTube where you gave every possible excuse for why your presentation wasn't just awesome.. to now, you're reciting at major poetry venues. You go Ms. Lady! Although I recite my poetry as a ministry presented at Christian events, I too used to compare myself with other poets. When I first started writing to present (as opposed to just written form), I studied all types of poets' style, tone, etc. Wow! There are some fantastic poets out there. I know although God has blessed us each with a measure of the gift (talent), we must still cultivate the talent. I remember listening to one of Future the Poet's pieces and he mentioned that he was so good, because while many people are sleeping at night, he was writing and practicing. Practice, practice, practice. Experiment with techniques, read, study poetry. Some of these people have been immersed in poetry for years, but at one point, they too were just where you are... memorizing their first piece to present for others. For me, it takes a good week of repeating the piece sometimes as much as 20 times a day to really feel like I've got it down. After that point, even if I mess up, I'm so familiar with the poem, I can freestyle and pick back up where I left off and no one will even notice.

    Also, glad to hear you're keeping your priorities in order... family first. I'm really proud of you and wish you the best sista! Just wanted to drop these lines and say easy-does-it. Poetry is about freedom and expression. Enjoy yourself!

    Looking forward to hearing more of your stuff soon :)

    Much Love! ~AnointedArts

    ReplyDelete