Thursday, February 2, 2012

Promised Promotion

 

I know that I said I'd have this posted yesterday, but I got home late from my celebratory dinner.

Yesterday, I went to the promotion board. Now, I could take the time out and try to explain how the Army works, in terms of promotion, but that would make this post entirely too long. So if you have questions, then leave a comment. I'll try my best to break this down as simple as possible.

The promotion board generally consists of approximately 4 higher ranking personnel that sit on a board/panel and ask you tons of questions to test your knowledge in different areas (i.e. Army History, Army Regulations, First Aid...etc..). There is always one President of the board and that is person that you report to when you first enter the room. After you report, then you have to go through a series of facing movements (left face, right face, about face...) so that the board members can inspect your uniform. They may also tell you to recite one of the many Creeds before telling you to take a seat. Once you sit, you will sit at the position of attention and proceed to answer the questions that you are asked. There is a 321 page Study Guide that I had to study because they could have asked anything from that entire book. Here is a short little video on what a board is like. It may give you a better idea. It's only 3mins and then I'll tell you my story...

 


So, the President of my board was the CSM (Command Sergeant Major). Everyone's board experience is different, so I'll skip on the details. However, I will say that everything went well on the board! My hard work, dedication, and studying really paid off. I knew that it had to have been nobody but GOD!

So now, I am promotable. I am hoping to get promoted by the beginning of March. We shall see! In the mean time, I am packing my bags and getting ready to head to Korea in less than a week. :-(. My promotion was promised!

No comments:

Post a Comment