Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Unchain Your Mind | Not My Will...

3:31am and I've been awake since 2am. Might as well write...I've been procrastinating, a horrible habit that I can't seem to shake. But in my defense, I work best under pressure. 

I was reading back through some of my old posts. "Open Doors II" was written two years ago and I vaguely remember writing that post. When I first started this blog, I had no idea what I would be doing with my poetry by now. I have mentioned times where I've been offered a contract with a label to record a Spoken Word CD & had to pass it up for various reasons. But in 2011, I spoke today into existence. I spoke to those closed doors and I unchained my mind. 

While in Korea, I decided to put more time into what makes me come alive: POETRY. I put my heart and soul into my writing and before I left Korea, God put the right people in my path for specific reasons. I met a friend and fellow poet who didn't even realize how much her talent, confidence in who she was, and insecurities inspired me. We built our first home in Korea together: a 10ft wide stage with 1 microphone. We founded, advertised, and hosted the largest open mic for soldiers in all of South Korea called "Poetic Action". I felt at peace up there when I spit. I helped people. I reached their innermost emotions & inspired some to write. 

In December 2012 I was asked to sign to another publisher & make a Spoken Word CD. It was finally time. But we all know that nothing worth having comes easily. I was leaving Korea in two months...that wasn't a lot of time to make a quality CD if I wasn't in the studio 24-7. Everyday I would wake up at 0500, go to work, get off at 430, be on the train(no vehicle in Korea) by 500, & in the studio until midnight. Two...months...straight. 

End result...Original tracks: free. Studio time: free. Becoming a registered songwriter/poet: free. Releasing my very first cd on iTunes, debuting it at my last Poetic Action, and selling out: ABSOLUTELY PRICELESS!! God is truly an amazing God and knows when to say "Yes." and "Wait, not yet." I am an International Spoken Word Recording Artist. Fancy right?!

Sleep has finally found me. 

Unchain your mind and do what makes you come alive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment