Thursday, April 2, 2015

Unchain Your Mind | National Poetry Month

NaPoMo #1 (Haiku for 1APR15)

I hear your voice, Lord. 
I will let you sail this ship. 
You see what I don't. 

~UnhurdChyld


Have you ever wondered if you were "doing life" right? Like if you ever really figured out how it works and what you're supposed to be doing with it?  

So many people have told me that I should really go into doing Poetry full time. Or they'll ask why haven't I done it yet. Well that answer is simple (maybe not correct, but it's simple)...

I'M AFRAID!!

I'm afraid of my poems not being as good as the poets that inspire me. I'm afraid that my words won't really be heard and understood. I'm afraid that my desire to make a change will get lost in translation. Most of all, I'm afraid that I'm ordinary and everything that I write, anybody else can too. 

A year ago I started back writing and was inspired to start an open mic in 2015. When I began writing last year, I started to get a lot of exposure. People started asked me come and do poems at luncheons and various other events. CD sales were increasing and everything! But I still felt ordinary. Until less than a week ago...

While on the phone with my best friend, we were talking about upcoming engagements that we were scheduled to perform. I told her, "You know what? I think I've performed  for practically every Greek Organization on this island. Except for the Deltas." The very next day I had an email in my inbox asking me to perform at the Delta Sigma Theta Annual step show  with a sold out audience of 630 people. 

I never thought that this is where I would be right now. I'm humbled. Am I still a bit hesitant? Yes. But I'm not in control. "The mind is stronger than my body. God is stronger than my mind."

No comments:

Post a Comment