Sunday, August 16, 2015

Unchain Your Mind | You Don't Know My Name

It was 2004 and the night of my HS Senior Prom. My friends and I were sitting in a breakfast restaurant when I recognized a guy from my church sitting in a booth with two other guys. I we his unexpected compliment, I didn't know what to say. 

So his friend tells me, "Sing something then." 
"Right here?" I asked.
"Yes."
"I can't sing in this restaurant full of people! It'll be too loud and my friend are right over there. I'm too embarrassed." I shyly replied.
The guy looked disappointed and told me, "Remember this: You never know who you're standing in front of. When someone asks you to sing, SING. You could miss a lot of opportunities trying to avoid embarrassment."

That guy, and his friend, worked closely with Kirk Franklin...

10yrs later, I was still kicking myself and wondering, "What if...". I have known several people to go on to have extremely successful musical careers (particularly in the Gospel industry) and I am more than overjoyed for them. I recognize my gift of poetry and rejoice in others' musical success unashamed. Which brings me to main topic:

I've wanted to address this subject for a while now but was unsure of how to approach it for fear of losing people that I genuinely care deeply about. I chose to write this, because I don't think those feelings are reciprocated. This is not to hurt any feelings but hopefully it will help someone understand a little better.

Dear Celebrity Buddy (since we're clearly not friends):

You don't know my name. We used to be friends. I understand that we grow older and "life happens". You don't get to talk to people as much as you used to because you're busy trying to make your dreams come true and pay bills simultaneously. If you're lucky, your dreams are paying the bills. 


I'm proud to say that I know you, but afraid of being called a 'name dropper'. Your success does not equate to my preferential treatment and I've never expected, nor desired, that.  I just want to support you. When I sporadically text you to say, "I'm just checking on you", there is no hidden agenda. I don't want anything from you but a reply. We have always sporadically chatted, but it never changed the dynamics of our relationship until someone **ahem** changed. I don't want to 'come up' by holding on to your coattail. I don't want to talk to you every day. What I do want, is to support you without being viewed as a fan. To benevolently love you without being questioned. To communicate with you as a person and not an artist. Remember that I know YOU and not the concept of you that so many others idolize. Don't always dismiss the ones that were around before {{they}} knew your name...


I still love you, buddy...


Signed,

A loving supporter

You can't take everybody with you; but there are some that you should keep in your corner. Just because they don't always talk to you, doesn't mean that they don't talk {pray} for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment