Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Unchain Your Mind | What a Difference a Year Makes

Never, in a million years, could I have imagined that I would be where I am today. In less than TWO months, I will be hosting my very first Poetic Action Showcase feature four of the best Spoken Word Artists in the Nation!!

September 2012
My best friend, Lyric Kantrail, and I opened our first Poetic Action show in the Northern Province of South Korea. By January 2013, we had two locations (One in the Northern and the other in the Southern Province).  Both shows came to an end in September 2013 – six months after she and I had to leave the country. We weren’t discouraged though because we didn’t think that it was going to last for one month after we left LOL.


September 2014
I had been in Hawaii for about 1 1/2yrs and had not found an open-mic that I liked. I just needed a stage, but I didn’t have my best friend. She was my “team”. We have the same work ethic, drive, and hustle. I wanted to bring Poetic Action back but didn’t know where to start. I finally met the right person to be my partner AND my DJ {{WINNING!!}}.


January 2015
Lights! Camera! POETIC ACTION! The first Poetic Action in Oahu was a complete success! People were talking about it for days. I was on cloud nine.


July 2015
My bestie comes to visit me! We come up with this bright idea to make her a feature for the upcoming Poetic Action show. Greatest idea ever!
Every show from then on out, we had a feature artist and the audience loved it (August-Kevin Sandbloom
; September-Obbie West
; October-Masterpiece
; November-HBO Def Poet Shanelle Gabriel
& a surprise appearance by 7-time HBO Def Poet SHIHAN!)



Fast forward to January 2016…
IT’S THE ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF POETIC ACTION IN OAHU!! We’ve got feature performances by:

- Grammy Listed International Spoken Word Artist
QUEEN SHEBA
- World Renouned Poet and Speaker
TALAAM ACEY
- Author, Activist, and National Poetry Slam Champion
PAGES MATAM
- 2015 & 2015 North Texas Spoken Word Awards winner MASTERPIECE


This line up is absolutely BANANAS! Only way from here is UP! "The mind is stronger than my body. God is stronger than my mind."

No comments:

Post a Comment